Monday, April 21, 2014

All but 2 seats out!

We have now had the bus home for 1 week (as of yesterday) and all but 2 seats are OUT!!!! I am thrilled with this, my goal was 1 week for seat demo & I nearly made it! The only ones remaining are the driver's seat & the fold up bench seat by the side emergency exit door. Ran out of time and energy to get those out today. 

Also weighed one of the seats that are the most common in our bus. 
(We have 1 four legged, 1 four legged folding, 2 that were just cushions attached to the rear engine housing and then 22 - 2 legged, floor bolted and side rail bolted.) 

The 22 - 2 legged variety each weigh 44 pounds. That is 968 pounds of bus seats that I muscled out by myself! Which means that the other style of seats & the 2 front partitions put my bus seat weight well over 1000 pounds. I don't know if we will reuse any seats, or just frames, or cushion, so some of that particular weight may come back on the bus. 

I am happy to report that the Performax brand cut off wheels from Menards worked splendidly and never fell apart or behaved at all unsatisfactorily. 
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tool-accessories/abrasives/10-pack-4-5-cut-off-wheel-for-metal/p-2012160-c-10154.htm
The one DeWalt cut off wheel fell apart from its inner ring after 13 bolt heads. I have no idea if that is normal, good or bad, but I prefer NOT to have crap flung around from power tools.

Image

We peeled back some of the flooring up front to see if we could get a little idea of how the subfloor is up there. It seemed in okay shape, but we couldn't see under the plywood, and it was really only a 12 inch section.
Nora bustin' out the big guns with the pry bar.
Image

Found some rust nasties when we popped off the front edge covering.
Image

We also started getting all those letters and reflective tape off, for eventual painting.
Lily & Nora using the razor blade scrapers.
Image

The next goal is to demo the floor by April 27th.

No comments: